Improver Class: 75 metres +
Take pride in your achievements water confident kids
Our Improver learn to swim lessons are for children who have completed 75 metres back and breast stroke and their Water Confidence Two award.
These formal style lessons are about introducing head down front crawl, breast stroke and aquatic breathing techniques, improving all round swimming ability and water confidence. Our instructors, teaching from within the water are on hand to offer support and guidance.
Reward and recognition
Children learning to swim at Improver level at Wirksworth, continue to follow our own learn to swim programme. Your child can follow their progress on a wall chart and on completion will receive a present from the pool.
To obtain each of the awards your children will need to demonstrate the ability to:
- 100 Metres:
- Swim 100 metres alternating between breast stroke and back crawl.
- Change stroke at the end of a length only using pool walls to touch and turn.
- Back Crawl Proficiency: show good points of style and technique consistently over a distance of 30 metres.
- Breast Stroke Proficiency: show good points of style and technique consistently over a distance of 30 metres.
- 150 Metres Medley:
- Swim – 150 metres alternating between front crawl, back crawl and breast stroke, completing a minimum of 50 metres in each stroke.
- Change strokes – at the end of a length only, using poolside to touch and turn.
- Front Crawl Proficiency: show good points of style and technique consistently over a distance of 30 metres.
- Water Confidence Three:
- Sculling– for 5 metres continuously head first and then feet first with the feet at or near the surface and turn 360 degrees in a tuck position.
- Treading Water– in an upright position for 60 seconds unaided.
- Floats/Glides– Perform a mushroom float holding position for 5 seconds. Push and glide from the poolside on the front and back holding a glide position for 5 seconds.
- Underwater Skills – Perform a surface dive and swim 5 metres underwater.
- Water Safety: Answer one of a possible five water safety questions.
To learn more about learn to swim lesson times and availability please contact us